Prevelance of Epigastric pain in patients taking oral NSAIDS alone versus those taking combination of NSAIDs and misoprostol

Hira Akram, Syeda Sehrish Absar, Muhammad Awais

Abstract


                                                                   ABSTRACT

Objective:

                  This study was done to study degree of relationship between epigastric pain due to gastritis and consumption of NSAIDs.

Design:

This was observational type of study.

Duration and time:

This study was conducted at Mayo Hospital Lahore in General Outdoor patient department from july 2017 to December 2017.

Method:

Every patient taking oral NSAIDs or combination of oral NSAIDs and misoprostol twice daily from last two months was included in our study. Written consent form was signed by each patient to be part of study. A questionnaire was made to ask about symptoms of patient. The date obtained was analysed using Microsoft excel and spss.

Results:

A total of 153 patients were included in our study. Patients taking only oral NSAIDs were 97(63.39%) whereas those taking combination of Oral NSAIDs and Misoprostol were 56 (36.60%).Among the patients who were taking oral NSAIDs alone 73(75.25%) developed epigastric pain whereas remaining 24( 24.74%) did not develop any such symptom. Out of the patients taking combination NSAIDs+ misoprostol only 11 (19.64%)  developed epigastric pain others did not.

Conclusion:

 Using NSAIDs can cause gastritis and thus should not be prescribed alone. Our study has very well established role of Misoprostol in protection of gastric mucosa against harmful affects of NSAIDs.


Keywords


Epigastric Pain, NSAIDs, Gastritis

Full Text:

PDF

References


Patrick J. Rooney, Walter F. Kean, Yasmin B. Kassam, Murray R. Asch

Can Med Assoc J. 1985 Mar 15; 132(6): 61

Barrier CH, Hirschowitz BI. Controversies in the detection and management of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug-induced side effects of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Arthritis Rheum. 1989 Jul;32(7):926–932.

Armstrong CP, Blower AL. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and life threatening complications of peptic ulceration. Gut. 1987 May;28(5):527–532

Beardon PH, Brown SV, McDevitt DG. Gastrointestinal events in patients prescribed non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a controlled study using record linkage in Tayside. Q J Med. 1989 Jun;71(266):497–505

M Doherty, R H Hunt, M J Langman, R E Pounder, R I Russell, R D Sturrock, A K Thould Ann Rheum Dis. 1987 Aug; 46(8): 640–643

Hawkey CJ, Langman MJ. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: overall risks and management. Complementary roles for COX-2 inhibitors and proton pump inhibitors. Gut 2003; 52(4): 600-608

Goldstein, J. and Cryer, B. (2015). Gastrointestinal injury associated with NSAID use: a case study and review of risk factors and preventative strategies. Drug, Healthcare and Patient Safety, p.31.

Shah, K., Price, K. and Talbot, I. (1995). Effect of longterm misoprostol coadministration with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: a histological study. Gut, 37(2), pp.195-198.

Carbonell JL1, Varela L, Velazco A, Fernández C, Sánchez C (1997). The use of misoprostol for abortion at < or = 9 weeks' gestation. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care, 2(3), pp.181-5.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.