Effect of 6 week 6 of functional training and core stability on balance and quality of life in elderly women
Reaching the age to elderly is the most important scientific progress of human, but especially balance and cognitive decline in motor function for dynamic and static balance is the most difficulty of elderly men and women in the new world. The purpose of this study was to assess a training program on static and dynamic balance and core stability functional and quality of life among elderly women.
Materials and Methods: 30 elderly women with an average age of 58/79 ± 7/02, Height 150/08 ± 32/03 cm and weight 70/15 ± 10/53 kg at Amateur Club of Najaf Abad Esfahan were selected and randomly divided into two groups. In order to assess the balance of static and dynamic balance on one leg stand test, stand up and go test and SF36 questionnaire was used to assess quality of life . The experimental group work 6 weeks of functional training and core stabilization. Data analyzed by using SPSS software and Levine statistical method with significant level of P <0/05.
Results: A significant difference between groups in the stand up with one leg and go test and SF36 questionnaires were found.
Conclusion: This study showed that the functional core stabilization exercise program can improve static and dynamic balance and quality of life of elderly women. Thus, functional training and core stabilization program appears to be a useful exercise to improve balance and the quality of life and reduce risk of falling and the cost of health care.
-Brick head, Loretta M.(1989).Psychiatric mental Health nursing ,the therapeutic use of self . Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Co.
-Shamlou,G.(1994),Whats Aging ,Chehr Publication.
-Alipour F.,Sajadi H.,Farzane S. (1995),Quality of life paper,Vol 9,Issue 33,P.147-165
- Grimly A.(1998).Oxford textbook of geriatric medicine. UK, 110-20
- Akbari K.,Azadi F.,(1995),characteristic of imbalance in elderly ,Vol 2,issue 2.p.102-105
- Cromwell RL, Meyers PM, Meyers PE, Newton RA.(2007).Tae Kwon Do: An effective exercise for improving balance ability in older adults. J Grontol; 62A(6): 641-646.
- De Bruin, E., Murer, K. (2007).Effect of additional functional exercises on balance in elderly people. Clin Rehabil, 21: 112-121.
-Winter DA. Human balance and posture control during standing and walking. Gait & Posture 1995; 3: 193-214.
- Thomas JI, Lane JV. A pilot study to explore the predictive validity of 4 measures of falls risk in frail elderly patients. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005; 86(8): 1636-40.
- Lin MR, Hwang HF, Hu MH, Wu HD, Wang YW, Huang FC. Psychometric comparisons of the timed up and go, one-leg stand, functional reach, and Tinetti balance measures in community-dwelling older people. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004; 52(8): 1343-8.
- Bohannon RW. Single limb stance times: A descriptive meta-analysis of data from individuals at least 60 years of age. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation 2006; 22(1): 70-7.
- Hasan SS, Lichtenstein MJ, Shiavi RG. Effect of loss of balance on biomechanics platform measures of sway: influence of stance and a method for adjustment. J Biomech 1990; 23(8): 783-9.
- Suzuki T, Kim H, Yoshida H,. Randomized controlled trial of exercise intervention for the prevention of falls in community-dwelling elderly Japanese women. J Bone Miner Metab 2004; 22(6): 602-11.
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "Up & Go": a test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc 1991; 39(2): 142-8.
- Rogers ME, Rogers NL, Takeshima N, Islam MM. Methods to assess and improve the physical parameters associated with fall risk in older adults. Prev Med 2003; 36(3): 255-64.
-Sai , A.J., Gollagher , J.C., Smith , L.M., Logsdon, S.(2010). Fall predictorsin the community dwelling elderly , A cross sectional and prospective cohort study. Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions . Jun, 10(2),142-150 .Cited in Pub Med, PMID, 20516631.
- Husseini M., Asfrjany F. (1390). The determination, Courtesy the effect on the recovery of motor functions and cognitive Pilate’s period associated with falls in older women. Research in Rehabilitation Sciences, years 8.No (3).
- Sohbatiha M., Aslankhani M., Persian A. (1390).Comparison of static and dynamic balance training on aquatic and healthy elderly men. Iranian Journal of Ageing, year 6, No. 20.
- Sadeghi H., Spring, c., Karimi principle for., Wait, M.. (1388). The six-week training program on static and dynamic balance performance in healthy elderly men. Iranian Journal of Ageing, Volume 3, No. 8, pp. 565-571.34
-Jeffery,S.,David,N.,Camaione and Steven ,V.O.(2001). The effect of intense strength training on standing balance , Walking speed and sit to stand performance in older adults. Journal of Geront seriesA.56:281-286.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.